2010-05-05

Technology in education

Back in October 2007, the Economist held a "debate" on whether technology contributed to the quality of education. Even my own course at the Open University was almost named "Technology-enabled education" instead of "Technology-enhanced education" as it was in the end. Why? Because the word "enhanced" apparently convey positive connotations about technology's role in education, and this could give potential students the wrong impression.

I think this caution was warranted. Over the past few years (actually), I've been looking far and wide for a serious critical voice on the subject. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Ludite, but one has to wonder about the pervasive, unbridled enthusiasm for digital technology in all areas, but particularly in education. All this talk of "progress" and "revolutions" and "new paradigms" is getting to me, primarily because I don't know exactly what all these fans (a word derived from the term "fanatic", interestingly enough) are all so excited. I wonder sometimes what they are seeing that I'm not.

Technology in education is one of those "debates" that really isn't one. Too often the issues are phrased in such a way as to be against them is somehow denying a brighter future to our offspring. All the technology in the world can't make it brighter if the power goes out, and I'm wondering how many people there are left who can think without being wired, connected, tuned in, or networked? In other words, I'm much more interested in the healthy -- not hyped -- relationship between (digital) technology and learning.

If no one else wants to tell the Emperor he has exhibitionist tendencies, then I guess I'll have to. And if there is no pole of attraction for the doubters and critical observers, then I guess it's up to me to put one up.

No comments: