2012-04-29

Tighter tomorrows

Whether we like it or not, we've got to tighten up our relationships with others. I know I sound like some goody-two-shoes, but if I'm wrong about this, I'd be more than happy to entertain contrary thoughts. No opinions, of course. You can keep them to yourselves. If you've got a well thought-out argument, though, I'd be happy to take it into consideration.

All I'm trying to say is that being together and cooperating with others is as natural as anything can be. All we need to do is accept this simple fact and other things start to follow. Don't get me wrong. If there is anything capable of aggravating you till you're ready to tear your hair out, it's other people. I'm sure we agree on that. But in the end, at bottom, we can't live without them, so if there's anything we need to start doing – and I mean all of us – it's learning to live with others. Yes, everybody has to do it, and since everybody's waiting for the other person to start, we'll never get started. You know that part of you I said was your own self? Well, now's the time to call upon it: you have to start. Not the other person. You. Some things are up to you, and this is one of them.

This isn't a trivial matter, you know. If we don't get started on this, we'll end up killing ourselves off, and the planet will simply breathe a sigh of relief that we're gone. No savior is coming down from heaven to instigate the change. Nobody has a front row seat in paradise. It doesn't matter anyway, most of us still have a bit of time to spend here on this plane, and it is precisely on this one that we need to get our ducks in line. I'm here to tell you: it doesn't make a hill of beans of difference what you think you believe or how fervently you believe it. The only thing that makes a difference, now, later, and if there is one, in the afterlife is what you do here. This is it, folks. This is your only chance. Don't blow it.

No comments: