2012-09-28

Heaven home?

The last couple of posts dealing with Wade Bowen's song got me thinking a bit farther afield as well. In fact, while reflecting on it, I was reminded of a story I heard a long time ago that made quite the impression on me, so I thought I'd share:

A student once asked his Rabbi: "Worthy Teacher, what is Hell like?"

To which, the Rabbi responded: "Hell, my Son, is like a great banquet, a feast attended by all. There are rich and luscious delicacies beyond the imagination, food of all kinds and in never-ending abundance.

"Around the table, however, are sitting the most pitiful and ravaged souls. Skeletons with the flesh falling from their bones because they have been given only long spoons to eat with and try as they might, they simply cannot get the food into their mouths. They sit in the presence of all that is good and they are starving.

"Well, then, Worthy Teacher, what is Heaven like?"

"Ah, Heaven, my Son", the Rabbi answered, "Heaven is like a great banquet, a feast attended by all. There are rich and luscious delicacies beyond the imagination, food of all kinds and in never-ending abundance.

"Around the table, however, are sitting plump and jolly souls. Laughing and thankful folks who have also been given those long spoons as well, and they are merrily feeding one another."

Just a thought ...

No comments: