2013-02-05

Why does it matter?

The short answer is: because it does. The longer answer follows.

It is nice to think that people I know are going to get it, but I know that more often than not I'm going to be disappointed. It takes some effort sometimes to maintain a modicum of optimism when I see all the crap that gets shoved my way. And, it is definitely a challenge to continue talking when it is fairly obvious that as good as no one is listening.

Oh, I really don't mind all that much if you think that I'm full of crap and have no idea what I'm talking about, or that I have no clue as to what needs to be done to fix some of the problems I repeatedly address. Sure, I wish it were otherwise, but that's not the real issue. No, to me, the real issue is that most of you reading this don't think you're part of the problem, that you are everything we need to be: social, caring, empathetic, concerned, informed ... well, the list is endless, isn't it? Especially when we're saying nice things about you.

Let me tell you what amazes me most: the immorality of it all. And let me tell you what amazes me even more: how much each and every one of us is a part of it; how guilty, how immoral each and every one of us is.

I know, I know ... we're not supposed to say things like that because it could offend others. Quite honestly, if there is one thing I might regret in my life, it's that I offended too few people. Always worrying about others' sensibilities, when their sensibilities make it impossible to have a real discussion of anything. Always having to be politically correct when the biggest offenders are the ones imposing the sanctions. Always toning it down because someone could find it hurtful. Right. Let me tell you what I think "hurtful", "politically incorrect" and "insensitive" mean to me:

I'm offended by elected officials who think they know more than me when all most of them really know is how to stick their noses in other people's behinds so they can get re-elected. I'm offended by stupid people who think that science and reason are mere opinions. I'm offended by everyone who thinks that legality trumps morality. I feel unnecessarily restricted when I can't describe any person, situation or event without being accused of having an agenda. I feel abused when it's not possible to have a reasonable discussion. I feel oppressed when others think they have better arguments by virtue of where they perceive themselves to be in the social hierarchy. I find it hurtful that things are more important than people, that property matters more than persons, that money is the measure of all things. Yes, there are a lot of things that bother me, that's for sure.

But above and beyond all of these petty personal issues, I find it unfathomable that so many allegedly educated, informed, intelligent, sophisticated and experienced human beings -- many of whom I personally know -- can be so unaware that they are so often exactly that which they so strongly condemn.

There is a lot at stake: the world as we know it; so I don't see how we can afford the luxury of all this ignorance and hypocrisy. What? Where did those concepts come from so suddenly? It's easy. They've been here all along. We all know what is "right", and when we make any effort at all to "explain" why in this particular case we need to qualify that "rightness", we're being both ignorant and hypocritical.

No comments: