2013-03-03

Brussels blues

Yes, I'm off to Brussels again. This time for a two-day conference. I go there often enough, I'm starting to like the place.

Don't get me wrong, it's not Brussels is bad in any way. In fact, if it's anything, it's nondescript. It's not an exciting city. It doesn't have the zip and pizzaz of a New York, it doesn't have the emotion of a Paris or Rome, it doesn't have the bustle of a London. It's a city of bureaucrats, for the most part, and well, they're not the most fun-seeking group of folks on the planet. But, as is so often the case, once you get to know it better, once you get a look behind the facade, once you start seeing it more through the eyes of its own denizens, well, it can be an attractive enough place to be.

When we think "beer", most of us think "German", and some connoisseurs will think "Czech", but one shouldn't underestimate Belgian beer. The Belgian monks knew their stuff. What you will find in Belgium beer-wise is for the most part, robust, hearty, heady, and varietal. The biggest problem you have is choosing: light, dark, ales, pilsners, flavored (they brew a cherry beer that is only served in small glasses ... it's not something you chug-a-lug all night long). There are a variety of traditional and modern establishments available. Of course, what would be a trip to Brussels without a bag of fries? Just ask anyone, the Belge invented them. Double-fried, with mayonnaise (might as well enjoy them like the locals). I find they're great from the nearest street vendor. This isn't a sit-down meal. But, speaking of which, don't leave Brussels without at least one serving of carbonade, a thick beef-stew made with dark beer. Have it with fries if you want a double-dose, and if you're adventurous, do a dark Leffe with it (or whatever beer it was made with, if you can get it), for a taste-treat you won't long forget.

Yeah, there is a tasty side to Brussels, that is true, but unfortunately, I'm not there for the food. As I said, it's for business, two days, an overnight, and an organized dinner, so I'm going to have to do without what's good this time around.

What's the conference about? Another one of those oversized, overhyped, over-regulated kick-offs for yet another digital initiative. Please forgive me if I'm not overly excited about it all. While I'm no Luddite (well, not in the strict sense of the word, but having dealt with digital technology from as many angles for as many years as I have, you really can't blame me for being less than ecstatic about its possibilities), pushing IT is not going to save our economies. Yes, we have 26 million unemployed folks here in Europe. Yes, we have a shortfall of close to a million IT jobs, but, do we really think that shoving more money at an industry whose primary contribution to the economy is eliminating jobs (if a computer can do it, it eventually will) is going to help? Do we really think that they are going to create more jobs than they eliminate? I have my doubts, needless to say, so I'm off to Brussels to see how they want to try and justify it this time around.

Who knows, maybe the conference organizers will go "native" for their dinner. At least that would make the trip potentially worthwhile. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

No comments: