2013-05-06

The merry month of May

Well, here we are, almost a whole week into the merry month of May.

What's so merry about it? Is this particular one supposed to be merry, or the month just generally speaking more lighthearted than the others.

I think it's just one of those quirky English turns of phrase we like so much.

We're pretty much out of time. I'm referring to us moderns. It's not the first time I bring it up, and I'm sure it won't be the last. We simply have too loose a relationship with it anymore. Maybe there was a reason for May to be merry, or for people to be merry in May.

When you get right down to it, you don't have to look very far to find a reason (or more): Walpurgis Night leads into the month, and as I mentioned a couple of posts ago, that means -- these days in particular -- most likely a dance to get into the month. Then there is the legendary May Pole. Phallic symbol or not, it raises images of mirth and frolicking, does it not? At least we in Europe have a holiday to kick start the month ... that's worth thinking about instituting every month. And traditionally, May meant it was time to bathe. Oh yeah, once a year whether you needed it or not, and May was the first real opportunity. You wanted fresh June brides, you know.

OK, it's more than a turn of phrase, there appears to be method to our standard madness.

I'm a big May fan, of course. In most years, we've got two Thursday holidays in these parts, and Thursday holidays simply lend themselves to taking Friday (as the Germans call it a Brückentag, or literally, a "bridge day") off as well. More reason to be merry. My German anniversary is in May, another reason to celebrate (and due to modern conveniences, I can take care of that bath thing any time I please).

Chance are good that even though I like the month more than most, you won't find me out frolicking. I'm pretty sure my frolicking days are over. But, there's no reason not to be a bit more upbeat than usual. Even my American friends and family can get a little of spirit of the month, I suppose, even if they have to wait until the very end of the month to get it (Memorial Day) ... unofficially, and for them, summer starts.

I can live with that.

No comments: