2013-08-08

Manning, cowardice, and silence (Update)

This morning there was an interesting press release posted at truth-out.org, namely that a petition has been started, to be signed by those who would be willing to serve part of Manning's eventual sentence.

While I'm fundamentally not a petition fan, since they are simply too easy to ignore, I was taken by the fact that the purpose of the petition was not to defeat evil, rather

The goals of the petition are to let Bradley Manning know how much we appreciate his work as a whistleblower for human rights. The petitioners also want to let the sentencing judge, the convening authority and anyone else who reviews the case see that many Americans strongly support Manning to the point where they are willing to go to prison for him.

This caught my attention, of course, because it specifically addresses the complaint I raised in my recent post that there was too much silence surrounding the Manning case. This silence, as we know, is being enhanced by the mainstream media. As the propaganda organ of the powers-that-be (TPTB), it has little, if any, interest in justice. In fact, it's hard to speak of justice at all these days. But, be that as it may ...

The chances that anything will come of this may be small. As one commenter already noted, "talk is cheap", but talk still "costs" more than mere silence. I, for one, am happy to admit that I was at least partly wrong in my assessment, even if my overall point has not been thereby refuted: TPTB oppress (and torture) the little folks because they can, and they protect the real villians, because they are the villians themselves.

As of this writing, over 3,500 people have signed. If you are interested, you can find the petition here. Of course, more information can also be found on the I Am Bradley Manning website.





No comments: