2013-11-30

Just another new year

Yes, tomorrow marks the beginning of another new year. Oh, sure, we've had a plethora of them recently. Fall seems to be good for that sort of thing ... just as spring is in other circles. When a year starts or ends is a pretty arbitrary thing. There are good reasons for any of the choices, and I'm happy to let everyone have their way.

The year that begins tomorrow, however, is the Church Year. It's is, if you will, the beginning of the Christian Year, even if most Christians (at least the ones that I know) have no idea that tomorrow's the day.

Fact is: the "church"; that is, those of the Christian persuasion (except for all those who call themselves "Orthodox"), be they Roman Catholic, Protestant (in any of its various flavors), or adherents of any of a nearly innumerable number of "Christian denominations", have set their New Year's Day as tomorrow: the First Sunday in Advent. Four weeks from now we will celebrate the birth of Jesus (though the high point of the year will be Easter) A new cycle has begun.

Now, I'm sure that quite a few of you are asking yourself why I even care. I mean, what do I, proponent of the positions I hold, everyday guy that many of you know, mundane blogger, politically interested, left-leaning advocate of change have to do with the Church year? Good question. Be forewarned, however: answers are never as interesting at the questions.

The fact is that I was born and raised in a "Christian" environment. My upbringing was very "fundamental", if you know what I mean. I lived most of my youth in a country that expounded "Christian values". I moved to a country that still levies a "church tax" (albeit voluntarily ... and yes, I pay it). In fact, I even spent two years studying for and eventually receiving the authorization to teach religious instruction in German public schools. I spend an inordinate amount of time with my nose stuck in the Bible (i.e., Old and New Testaments), trying very hard to make sense not only of the translations, but also of the original Hebrew and Greek texts ... by choice, I might add. I know about the externalities of the "faith" (e.g., how the Church year runs). So, the question is: am I a Christian? Am I making all of you aware of this (latest) New Year, because it is the "real" way to mark our progression through time?

The (I'm sure) very disappointing) answer is "no".

For those who consider themselves and who call themselves "Christian", I'm not a member of their club. For those who are "other" believers, from religious individuals of all faiths to atheists, I'm I-don't-know-what. And that's fine with me.

And so, given that I'm a stranger in a strange land -- regardless of who is doing the observing -- I thought it might be a good idea to simply sort a few things out. And that will be the subject of our run-up to Christmas or, if you will, the next few blogs.

I hope you stay around. I'm pretty sure that what's to come will be anything but "the party line".

No comments: