2014-04-26

What Alfie doesn't know

Most of you will miss the allusion in the title. It's OK. It's not that important.

In a recent discussion with a friend, one of his observations about the sad state of current affairs was simply that what we're seeing is just humans being human. That seems to be a reasonable statement, but it got me thinking, and I'm not exactly sure how reasonable it is.

It assumes a lot. For example, it implies that things are as bad as they are because that is all we, as humans, are capable of. It intimates that given half a chance, humans will make the wrong choices. It insinuates that humans are inherently defective or deficient (or evil? or degenerate? or nasty? or ...?) in some way. It struck me that my friend doesn't have a very high opinion of his fellow humans.

Oh, I don't blame him for harboring incorrect notions or drawing false conclusions or anything of the sort. After all, we; that is, humanity in general, have a pretty rotten track record when it comes to good things. A lot of blood has been spilled, a lot of people have had to suffer, and we never seem to tire of finding new and obnoxious ways of making other people's lives miserable. What I think I heard him saying was, there is really nothing we can do about any of this; it's simply hardwired into the system, if you will. And it's there that I don't agree.

Yes, I'm one of those hopeless (or is it hapless?) idiots who believe that we can do better than we do. I'm not convinced that we're born brutish or evil or sinful or anything like that at all. Granted, the major Western religions, the so-called Abrahamic Faiths, all postulate a defective creation, (Hu)Man, but I'm not sure that's a strong interpretation of the Creation narrative. This doesn't mean that I automatically agree with our Humanist brethren, for they, at least for the most part, are convinced that we're nothing but atoms, molecules and physical and chemical process that somehow randomly produces the epiphenomenon of consciousness that forces us to decide but completely influenced by external forces and natural laws that leave little room for actual choice. Yes, deep down, I believe they, too, think, we're simply not capable of more. I, however, can't help but think that we are.

Since we're on the topic of what we all believe, I'll tell you what I believe, namely that humans are, to be sure, capable of the most incomprehensible depths of stupidity, of brutality, cruelty, and depravation, yet, at the same time, we are capable of reaching the most unimaginable heights of wisdom, creativity, kindness and love as well. Our individual lives and the life of humanity plays out between these two extremes. While I don't argue that we have been giving the down side more than its due, I would argue that we have the chance to be better. If there is one thing about humans which I unflateringly believe, it is that we -- individually and collectively -- can choose to shape our destiny.

Yes, I believe that whatever happens to us is, to a great extent, in our own hands. We can destroy the world, or we can save it. We can decide. We have consciousness, self-consciousness, and more than just mere instincts and drives. We have awareness, self-awareness, intelligence and insight, even if we don't always put that particular foot forward.

In the end, it is up to us, but it is also up to us to decide what we want to do and how we want to do it. It's not an easy choice and but we can make it. We're not victims of the forces, powers around us and we're more than the combination of our genes. Until we recognize and acknowledge that, however, we'll continue to ... well, put in simplest terms, simply keep screwing up.

So, heads up out there. The hour, it is getting late. If we're to make something of ourselves, we need to start working on it now. Right now. If you're here, you're in. There's no escape. It's time to show ourselves what we're really made of.

No comments: