2015-07-02

I didn't want to, but I couldn't help myself

There is a certain segments of my "friends" that is not going to be happy about this post. I'm not writing it to aggravate them, that's for sure, and I want to think that they in some way expect it from me. But, as we know, in just two short days, the USA is going to celebrate their 239th "birthday" and as I know from my youth, this is always a fairly big deal, even if the holiday won't be observed till next Monday. After all, in a land without vacations, you've got to create power-weekends where you can. The masses need a modicum of circuses, otherwise who knows what they might do?

Now, don't get me wrong: I think the idea behind the United States is a good one. I think it is noble, and admirable, and worth striving for. I'm a bit bothered by the fact that it has never been what it has asserted itself to be, regardless of how blindly so many speak of its Exceptionalism, its uniqueness, and its superiority. It is/was one of those grand ideas that somehow just never really got put into practice. It's not a tragedy (well, I'm sure there are a lot of dead people who have a different opinion on that), but it is sad that we Americans never really did live up to the goals we set for ourselves.

When the loudest purveyor of "peace" in the world has been at war for almost 95% of its history, I don't think it's all that odd to question both its intentions and its credibility. When those who claim the moral high ground of justice and equality presents to the world the reality of the highest incarceration rate in the world which is then populated by a disproportionate portion of people of color, I don't think it's all that odd to question its asserted values. When the so-called Land of Opportunity breeds the most dishonest and nefarious banking system the world has ever seen, I don't think it's all that odd to doubt the American Dream. And, when the richest country in the world can't find the least bit of empathy for its poorest and most downtrodden citizens, I don't think it's all that odd to question their integrity.

Oh, I've been told -- more than once -- that you simply can't compare the USA to any other country in the world. My response has always been the same: bullshit. Of course you can. What every country on the face of this planet has in common is that it is populated by people, and people -- better, human beings -- have a whole lot in common. What you decide to do with yourself and how you decide to act however you do is undoubtedly influenced by a whole lot of extraneous circumstances and conditions, no doubt about it. So, following that logic, if we apply an even slightly higher standard of behavior to Americans, because they are who they are and because of the position they (claim to) have in the world, well, then, that's simply the price you have to pay for being the (self-proclaimed) best. It simply goes with the territory.

So, for the weekend, I sincerely wish my fellow countrypeople all the best. Party hearty, for the end of your illusory betterness may be nearer than you think. It is also only fair to tell you: you are your own worst enemies.

As countries go, the USA is just an adolescent, and it is obvious to the rest of the world that this is how it most often behaves. Yes, all I want is that my country grows up. We're celebrating another birthday this weekend, and my most earnest wish for them is that they stop acting like children. I don't think it's too much to wish for, though it may be too much to ask.

No comments: