2015-01-21

Is the revolution desirable?

We're such strange creatures, we humans. We're so amazing, glorious, astounding, and at the same time we're horrible, despicable, and revolting. We can create artistic works of breathtaking beauty and inspiration, but we can also devise the most hideous methods of torture and depravity.

I know that many of you belong to that school of thought that says we humans are, in the end, merely animals. It will come as no surprise to any of you when I most vigorously disagree. Don't get me wrong. I admire and am awe-inspired by so many of our animal cousins, throughout the entire biological spectrum, but, when all is said and done, when all the evidence is in, and when all the measures are applied, we humans are, well, just a little different. Personally, I don't care if this is because you believe that God created us in His own image or whether you believe that it is merely the chance result of a gazillion gene mutations. I don't want to discuss the cause, I merely want to focus, for a moment, on the effect.

I said it before, and I'll gladly repeat it here: difference obligates. If any creature or entity is capable of something then I expect that this creature or entity live up to its possibilities and capabilities in an optimal way. (Yes, my dear critics, there are a lot of fuzzy words in that last statement, so I'm open to any and all suggestions how one may phrase the idea more concretely and more precisely.) What I'm saying is that should any of our animal cousins change, according to current biological and evolutionary theory, it will be because some gene mutation, not because that creature or entity desired that change to occur. We, however, as humans, as I have been painfully trying to point out over the last few posts are in the rather unique position that we can change who and how we are by merely willing to be different. Now, that, in my own rather humble opinion, is an extremely powerful capability. That is, without a doubt, an awesome power. And if you disagree that difference obligates, you're going to have a much more difficult time convincing me (and many others, I might add) that with power comes commensurate responsibility.

If things are so (and I believe they are), then we have every reason to pause and reflect on how much we want to change and how quickly. We could, perhaps, establish peace of earth. Theoretically, it is possible. On the other hand, we have it within our power to create Hell on earth. That's just as possible.

Is that the reason, deep down, that we are reluctant to change even ourselves, to participate in any larger action that may induce a sudden or drastic change, because we don't really know which way it all could go? Perhaps.

It has always amazed me how fear-motivated we are. We're afraid of consequences, even though there are consequences for being afraid, which are anything but welcomed consequences, but ... how circular and confused our logic can get.

The revolution is only desirable, of course, if the results are desirable. I'm advocating desirable results for the maximum number of people: love and care and be concerned more; hate and interfere and be apathetic less. What's so tough about that? You tell me.

No comments: