2015-11-26

Some things are worth repeating

Yes, here we are again at my absolute favorite holiday. Yes, it is about the food, too, regardless of what I might have said elsewhere, but it's also about family, and whether we like it or not, whether we realize it or not, whether we've managed to deal with it successfully or not, family is something we should invest more time in.

This year, Thanksgiving is a bit more special than usual. Not only have we moved and have more family closer, we're getting more visitors than usual this year -- extended family in the best sense of the word: "adopted" children and extended-family in-laws. Oh, I can hear the hair rising on the back of some necks, but I wouldn't have it any other way. No, our extended family get-togethers are not nearly as interesting or exciting as the Griswolds (cf. "Christmas Vacation"), but they are every bit as intense, and that's a good thing.

Thanksgiving is one of the two times each year (Christmas is the other) when I don't mind getting up earlier than usual (usually about 5:00 am). It's one of those rare times in the year when I get to spend the following seven hours (at a minimum) in the kitchen, and not alone: everyone in the family, or whoever else is there, stops by at least once, and most folks more than once. Most importantly, though, it is a day in which practically every conversation, every exchange of observations, every sarcastic and insightful quip has to do with how good we have it. Yes, I am eternally thankful -- and I believe all others as well -- for absolutely everything that we have and what we are blessed enough to enjoy. I will admit that we live in decadent abundance. Life has been good to us. We are fortunate. We have more than enough so that we can share with others. Our adversity has kept itself within limits. Our calamities are more like inconveniences. Our disasters are, by comparison to others', distractions. And it is not only today that I give thanks for all I/we have, but it is today that most of us have the time to stop and think about it.

I would be remiss if I did not note at the same time, however, that there are too many people in America (only because this is the big holiday there) who have not been as fortunate as I have, who have not been blessed as we have, who don't share in the abundance that we too often take for granted. All of these people -- without exception -- don't deserve that fate.

I don't care which politics you think are right, and I don't care whether you consider yourself religious or not. The fact remains that if the joy of the day is not tinged with the sadness, is not made the least bit bitter by the fact that an increasing number of people -- not just in the USA, but worldwide -- are having difficulty finding reasons to be thankful, then you haven't truly understood what it is you have.

As one of my heroes, Bucky Fuller, pointed out: there's more than enough for everyone on this planet; and as another of my heroes, a humble Nazarene carpenter brought home: if you're not ensuring that the least of us have enough; you're missing the whole point ... of everything.

Today's the day. Wake up. Get real. Get the point. The real point of giving thanks is in the giving. You've got more, so give more. It is really that simple.

No comments: