2015-11-23

There but for the grace of God ...

The events of the last week or so have brought out many folks' true nature. One of the (dis)advantages of being involved in modern, social media is that you get a glimpse of everyone's foundation of life. Oh, I know, this is not what most people think, but it is nevertheless what is. Even if I don't place a lot of faith in what people "say", since I'm much more concerned with what the actually "do", social media is one of those "places" where the "the truth will out" and what you post says more about you than you may like to acknowledge.

Most of my social-media "friends" are American, but not by much. The vast majority, of course, find their roots in the "West"; that is, western, post-Enlightenment, Judeo-Christian, ever-increasing secular culture. In short, they're "Westerners". This is not bad, in and of itself; indeed it is merely an observation of fact. What most of my friends don't know, or are not aware of, is that belonging to this particular group brings with it a number of significant advantages, and at the same time, a number of disadvantage as well. How could it be otherwise? After all, this is life that we are talking about.

Before we examine what these advantages and disadvantages might be, it would do us well to reflect upon how it is that we ended up here in the first place. I don't know about you, but I just "woke up here" one day. I mean, there came a time when I became conscious of the world around me, and, lo and behold, I was the first son of a striving-to-be middle-class family in the so-called richest (not to mention, freest and bravest) country in the world, at a time when striving to be middle-class meant something. To the best of my knowledge, I was not involved in that particular decision. It just happened. It was a purely random event. I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Like I said, though, I was "lucky" by our Western standards. The family I grew up in wasn't rich, but we weren't poor. We always had enough to eat and my life was as good as free from crime and violence. I had lots of opportunities and I was able to take advantage of them. I believe, as well, that most of you reading this ... most of you ... had a similar experience, but not everyone, and certainly not everyone else on the planet. The vast majority of humanity doesn't have it nearly as good as I did. The vast majority. Their lives more likely resemble Hume's struggle of each against all, a struggle for survival, more often than not.

Why? Because they're ignorant, uncivilized savages? Because they are violent by nature and love fighting and killing? Hardly. Regardless of where I have been in this world, I have found that just about everyone I meet wants pretty much the same basic things as me: enough to eat, some family, a roof over their heads, some time to spend with others, a feeling of security and to live their lives in peace.

What we fail to remember, what we love to repress is the simple fact that we were born where we were by the luck of the draw. Some lives have been easier than others, and most of you reading this, for all the pains and travails have had, by comparison, easier lives. I certainly don't begrudge what you have, but I do have a problem with you thinking that in some way you "earned" what you have, that you somehow "deserve" what you have. You were lucky. That's it. Damn lucky. For, there but for the grace of God ...

No comments: