2016-09-24

Exit, stage left

In 1965, The Byrds covered a Pete Seeger song that ended up being the US #1 hit with the oldest lyrics, namely, Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. It was wisdom all decked out in hippie garb. And even though the song has faded to a mere "classic", what it had to say was as true then as when the words were first written down, and they're just as true today. There is a time for every purpose under heaven.

William Shakespeare, one insightfully poignant observer of life and the human condition, eloquently expressed a corollary of thereof, which we also recognize as true when we are reminded of it, namely,

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts ...
(As You Like It, II, vii)

He then goes on to describe the several seasons of one human life, and in each of these seasons, all those purposes of the Preacher take on differing degrees of emphasis, if not necessity. That is the way of life. We are all called on to decide which roles to play when and how, and what to leave in and what to leave out.

The world is not any better than it was when The Byrds caught my fancy and fired my desires so long ago. I make no bones about it. The world wasn't in good shape then, but I thought it could be changed. I was shown it can be changed, but not necessarily for the better. Well, at least for the better for most of us. Some folks made out like bandits, because most of them were. I believe we're in this life to learn, and I've learned that much at least. Still, I'm ashamed of myself for not managing more. I'll try to do better next time.

This time, of course, it would be tempting to get lost in that thick forest of remembered hopes, dreams, aspirations, failures, illusions, and disappointments, but I have grandsons now who will have to live with what we have done. I have a lot of explaining to do, and more.

In other words, it has become clear, to me at least, that my own purposes, role, and part to play have changed, and there are just so many hours in a day. I think Robert Frost ("Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening") sums it up best:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Godspeed.


No comments: