2012-02-29

Leap day

Ooops! missed a day ... jumped right past it. Hey, that's why they call it Leap Day, don't they. I mean, that is what they call this extra day in February that comes around every four years, isn't it? And if it isn't, well, it should be.

I personally think the day should be a holiday. After all, it only comes every four years. It's only there to make the counting right (after all, we've already done the time the day represents), so it only seems fair that we shouldn't have to work because we've already done everything we needed to do up till now.

Once again, it's the little people who are getting screwed. Oh, it's not that the big folks, the rich and famous, have the day off and we don't. No, that's not it at all. Truth be told, though, all of those folks don't have to work anymore, so if they do, it's for the pure fun of it, so every day is, in a sense, a holiday for them.

The rest of us, though? Well, I don't know about you, but as for me, this working thing gets me down sometimes. Same old grind, same old same-old. Considering what comes out of it all in the end, I also think that most of us work way too much as it is. I read recently that if we had plowed our productivity gains over the past 50 years into working time instead of into profit (which only a few have benefitted from, I might add), we'd only have to be working about one day a week. OK, in that case, we wouldn't have a debate about February 29 at all. As it is, though, I think it should be a holiday. After all, we've already got a name for it.

No comments: