2012-02-17

Reality: what a concept

Did you ever wonder what is real? I don't mean just reacting to a stupid statement or being involved in some terribly inexplicable situation. No, I mean "real" in the real sense of the word.

Did you ever ask yourself if you weren't perhaps in some alternate reality in which the laws of physics and behavior that you thought you understood just didn't apply? I don't mean that jaw-dropping reaction to something someone says or does. No, I mean "reality" in the real sense of the word.

OK, maybe there's been a science-fiction story or two too many recently. Maybe it was that last old episode of Twilight Zone I found online. Or maybe, just maybe, it's being somewhere you thought you were familiar with only to realize that even though you spent a good portion of your life there, you might as well be visiting a foreign country. Who knows?

I actually think I'm starting to get where writers get their material. Every good comedian I've ever known insists they don't make up their material, they just take it from everyday life. What's good enough for comedians, must be good enough for the rest of those who write. You don't have to make it up at all. You just have to look around you.

Could it be that the best fiction going is reality?

No comments: