2012-03-24

A lot of sense

A friend of mine once reminded me that common sense was the least common of all senses. I can't say I disagree, but does that mean we live in a senseless world. I certainly hope not, and I don't think we do. There's a lot of sense around. Just think:

Every day, about 25,000 people die from hunger-related causes, about two-thirds of these are children.
About 925 million people worldwide don't get enough to eat.
More than a third of all deaths in low-income countries are children under 15.
About 1 in 3 workers worldwide is either unemployed or poor.
Almost a quarter of the world's population lives in poverty.
The poverty rate in the United States grew for the 4th consecutive year last year.
But, the income of the richest 10% of the world's population is about 9 times that of the poorest 10%, and it's rising.
The richest 1% of the world's population own 40% of all global assets.
The richest 3 people possess more financial assets than the poorest 48 countries combined.

It makes you wonder ... well, it makes me wonder, I can assure you. It would seem that there's more than enough to go around, but apparently some people don't want it to. Go figure.

Yeah, there's a lot of sense around, but it's not common, it's mostly nonsense.

No comments: