2012-03-08

Stuff it

Believe it or not, I could hear the tongues clucking, and even wagging, after reading my last post. Don't I have anything better to do that worry about a little trash along the highway? Sure I do, and I would certainly like to have the opportunity to devote my full worry-attention to it, but there is a fairly good number of people out there who are screwing up my schedule.

I don't think that places should necessarily be clean enough that you can eat off the floor. Nor do I believe that there isn't a certain bohemian charm to a certain level of chaos. And I'd be the last person to think that everyone should be as prussianly tidy as me. But what's the point? I don't get it. I have tried, I really have, but I don't understand the fascination with littering. Apparently a lot of people do it, too (at least judging by the roadside). So, I wonder, then, just what does it look like in their homes? Do they just drop empty boxes and wrappers on the floor? And if they don't do it there, why do they do it somewhere else?

The point I'm trying to make is that the mere fact that you do it says something about you that speaks louder than anything you may think you're saying otherwise. Actions always speak louder than words. Not just sometimes, always.

There are obviously a lot of things that I just don't get. So maybe this is just another one. But I don't think people who get caught doing it should be fined. You shouldn't be able to buy your way out of it. That's become our favorite form of punishment and it is quite obvious that that doesn't work even a little bit. No, they should have to go out and clean up the roadsides: first offence, 10 lbs; second offence, 20 lbs; third strike and you get a couple of kilometers assigned to you that you get to keep clean forever.

No comments: