2012-03-16

The tune of life

Why is country music, alt country, pseudo-country, and wanna-be country music so sad? I know that one comedian after another, Southern or not, have taken jabs at it, from my woman done left me to she killed my dog, too ... and there's lots of whisky drenching it all. When you listen a little closer, you side with her anyway: he didn't deserve the woman or the dog and nobody knows how he affords the booze.

No matter. Apparently it speaks to a lot of people. There must be a lot of folks who shouldn't own dogs. A lot of guys anyhow. And a lot of women who know they shouldn't have pets either.

One of the reasons I think about this is because a lot of Germans I know tend to like it. I'm not sure how many of them understand the lyrics, but I'm also not sure that's what's important anyway. I think they like it because if any instrument can cry, it's got to be a steel guitar. Oh, sure, it can be silly, faux happy, but behind it is a simple melancholy that is as much a part of life as birth or death.

I don't think we listen to instruments enough. We get into songs and forget who – what – is getting them to our ears. I really don't care what you music you listen to ... it's not the style that really matters. Find out which instrument is speaking to you, and you'll have a friend forever.

Music reaches deep. Deeper than we may like to admit. Of course, you have to stop just having it on in the background. Take a moment ... just listen.

No comments: